Skip to main content

Automating Common Tasks with Bash Scripts


First and foremost: I don't mean to lecture anyone here about BASH and what you can do with it. What I would like to do is to get some of you guys to think about procedures you do over and over again every day. I mean that annoying thing that you have to do several times a day that's taking away time from important other stuff you are doing. If you are working with Linux, you should know what I mean.
Now imagine you wouldn't have to do that anymore. That would be great, wouldn't it?


This guide explains simple automation ideas in Linux only. To try out some of my ideas, you can set up a lab server here on Linuxacademy or use an AWS instance if you have one running
If you are using Debian or Ubuntu often, you will have to run 'apt-get update' before you can install any new program or repo. This can be automated in a very simple way. Look at my code snippet below. I would suggest you make this file executable and place it into your /etc/cron.daily folder. Of course, you can also create a custom anacrontab for that.

#!/bin/bash
DATE=date sudo apt-get update 
echo "apt-get update has been run at $DATE" >> /var/log/apt-getupdatestats

Another script I have written is counting all files in certain directories on a virtual server. It's great for preventing disk usage problems. I would suggest integrating this script into a cron or anacron job that's running on a daily or at least weekly basis. Instead of getting the result of the file count dumped into the /home directory you could also use something like |mail -s "filecount server X $DATE" email@address.com

#!/bin/bash
cd $HOME 
find * -maxdepth 0 -type d -exec sh -c "echo -n {} ' '; ls -lR {} | wc -l" \; > $HOME/filecount_homedir.txt 
cd public_html/
find * -maxdepth 0 -type d -exec sh -c "echo -n {} ' '; ls -lR {} | wc -l" \; > $HOME/filecountpublic_html.txt

WordPress is the biggest Content Management System in the world, and I'm sure that at least some students here on Linuxacademy are managing one or more WordPress sites for a business or themselves. Now, once you have been doing that for a while you will have experienced the infamous 'white screen of death' or a generic '500 internal server error'. In my job, I have to troubleshoot situations like that every day. Checking the .htaccess file and if necessary replacing it with a default WordPress .htaccess file was something I had to do all the time. As it is quite a repetitive task and I was taking the "Administrator's Guide to Bash Scripting" course at that time I got the idea of creating a small script that compares a default WordPress .htaccess file with the one currently located in the user's web root. Look at my code below and try it out yourself! Of course, you would need to create your own directory on a free AWS EC2 instance for the default WordPress .htaccess. By doing that, you would also learn a bit about how AWS works, which is good to know.

#!/bin/bash
cd public_html/
echo "Comparing both htaccess files..." 
wget http://aws-default-files.com/cleanhtaccess/cleanwphtaccess 
if diff .htaccess cleanwphtaccess >/dev/null ; 
then 
echo "THIS FILE IS SAFE AND NOT CORRUPTED" 
else 
echo "THIS FILE SEEMS TO BE CORRUPTED. RENAMING IT NOW!" && mv .htaccess .htaccess.corrupted 
fi 
mv cleanwphtaccess .htaccess

Again, I would like to stress that I'm not claiming that my code is perfect. It's a work in progress. Sometimes I try to add stuff to it or change it. So if you see a mistake or have a better idea, contact me in the community. I'm very open to improvement suggestions!
Another thing I have automated on my cloud instances is maintenance of the logs. To begin with, I have changed the configuration of logrotate so it compresses old logs after 2 weeks. In addition to that, I'm using the script below stored in the /etc/cron.weekly directory. I'm doing that because anacron is checking files in there if they have been run in the last week or not. If it finds that it hasn't run in the last week, it will execute the script on the spot without the admin ever having to worry about it. This is extremely helpful if you don't have the instance running 24/7.

#!/bin/bash
cd /var/log
find . -iname "*.gz" -atime +14 -type f | xargs -I{} mv {} /var/log/oldlogs > /var/log/oldlog_output 2>&1

The reason I'm running this script on a regular basis is partially to get a better overview of the /var/log directory but also to get 'old' log files separated from the current ones. I have another script running that empties the content of the /var/log/oldlogs directory every other month.
The /var/log directory can be used for many automated scripts I think. The other automated script I run there checks for failed login attempts and sends the output to my email address every week. The example below is correct for Ubuntu or Debian based servers.

#!/bin/bash
EMAIL=your.email@address.com 
cd /var/log 
tail -n 30 auth.log | grep -i "failed" | mail -s "Failed SSH Logins" $EMAIL

Last but not least, there is a script I'm using all the time. It might not be as helpful for other people as not everyone here is working for a Web Hosting Company.
What it does is to send 'reminder emails' to individuals who tend to forget about certain processes I have told them about many times before. I have come up with this idea because
I was asked the same questions over and over again and wanted to find a way to make it stop. Look at my code below:


EMAIL=recipient.a@emailprovider.com,recipient.b@emailprovider.com,recipient.c@emailprovider.com,recipient.d@emailprovider.com,recipient.e@emailprovider.com, recipient.f@emailprovider.com,recipient.g@emailprovider.com,recipient.h@emailprovider.com,recipient.i@emailprovider.com,recipient.j@emailprovider.com 
cat /home/checkdns.txt | mail -s "How to check the DNS for Hosting Cases" $EMAIL

This works for at least 40 recipients at the same time (It should work with more recipients as well, but 40 was the highest number of recipients I have tried so far).
You can use this script with cron or anacron so it sends the reminder on certain days or a daily/weekly basis. Theoretically, you can also use this script to send some sort of report to your manager.
However, this would require the manager use a Dropbox account (with a free account they would need to invite their team members and other colleagues to increase their storage space to 16GB).
If you're interested and want to know how to do it, just respond to this guide! I'll be happy to explain it to you.
These are a few clever day-to-day automation ideas. As mentioned before, feel free to contact me in the community and ask me about some of my scripts or tell me if you have a better idea for them.

Most of these ideas come from courses here on linuxacademy.com. The System Administrator's Guide to BASH scripting was probably the most influential one. I'm also reading the book Comptia Linux+ / LPIC-1 Cert Guide: Exams Lx0-103 & Lx0-104/101-400 & 102-400. It is very good and has helped me improve my code in many ways.


Thanks to Daniel Schwemmlein

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AWS Cheat Sheet

Why Upgrading to Terraform 1.0. Should be a Priority ?

  HashiCorp Terraform version 1.0, released this week, contains few new technical feature updates. But that's actually the point. The company is known for its unconventional philosophy on what constitutes a "version 1.0" product and has spent seven years updating, supporting and marketing the infrastructure-as-code tool without this designation. Other HashiCorp products such as  Nomad  container orchestration and  Vault  secrets management also spent long periods being used in production before reaching version 1.0. Terraform is used to define infrastructure resources using programming code, which DevOps teams can then automatically test and deploy alongside applications using the same processes. Terraform is among the most widely used such tools, with more than 100 million open source downloads to date. The HashiCorp-hosted Terraform Cloud has amassed 120,000 customers. Despite its widespread production use, each new version of Terraform over the last three years came wi

PubG Snow map APK | Vikendi map | PUBG 0.10.0 mobile version | PUBG 0.10.0 USA BETA

Vikendi Map PUBG Beta Mobile Version 0.10 How to Install: Note : Since  PUBG Mobile 0.10.0 version  is available as Beta form, you may get some glitches and problem while playing. So, don’t worry! You will get a better and stable version of PUBG Mobile 0.10 update within a month. The PUBG 0.10 Mobile Beta size is around 1.5 GB. So, make sure you have enough space. Well, you don’t need to root your device or delete the stable PUBG Mobile 0.9.5 version to get the latest  PUBG 0.10.0 mobile version.  Also, you won’t get banned for downloading PUBG Mobile 0.10 beta version. Step #1 : Go to the PUBGMobile Beta Download page and  download PUBG Mobile 0.10 Beta on  Android  or  iOS  version . Step #2 : Next,  install PUBG Mobile 0.10 beta apk  file on your smartphone. Step #3 : After the successful i nstallation of PUBG Mobile 0.10 update , launch the new version and log in as a “Guest” or use “Facebook” login to get started.